A parental responsibility evaluation (PRE) is completed by a licensed mental health professional to help parents who struggle to come to an agreement about the welfare of their children. Parents, or the court can request an evaluation to assess the situation and report to all parties. Through a series of interviews, examination, and observation sessions, the investigator will evaluate and report their unbiased findings and recommendations.
To support this process, please work with the evaluator and supply the requested information in a timely manner. The evaluator reports findings and develops a parenting plan for parents to determine how each parent can meet the immediate and future needs of a child or children.
What to expect if you are involved in a PRE:
- A typical evaluation takes up to 60 – 90 days to complete.
- Each parent will participate in interviews which may include assessments.
- Depending upon the age of the child, the evaluator may interview the child.
- A session to observe parent and child interactions may be requested.
- Interviews include home visits to determine safety and risk.
- Additional supporting documents may be supplied or requested to support the evaluation from outside collateral supports who may have knowledge to the case.
If you would like more information about this service, please submit an online request form for PRE information.